While we are all stuck at home there is soooo much more cooking and baking going on! Banana bread seems to be the easiest and most popular thing to make, but here’s an option that can be a little more unique. In the first few weeks of quarantine my parents had my sister and I do a little baking challenge for them. The category was tart and these Portuguese Egg Tarts are what Adam and I decided to make. We based it off of this recipe here, but added some things that I’ll share below.
- Puff Pastry (You can make you’re own, but we did not.)
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (this is what we added)
- Whisk ½ cup heavy cream, ½ cup sugar, 1¼ cup whole milk, 2 egg yolks, 4 teaspoons cornstarch, and 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.
- Lower the heat to medium and continuing to whisk until the mixture begins to coat the sides of the pan. Continue to whisk…and whisk…and whisk. We felt like we were whisking forever!
- Once the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon, turn off the heat and move the pan to a cool burner. Then continue to whisk! Make sure you scrape the sides of the pan so it doesn’t get thick there. Keep whisking until it is no longer hot.
- Once it is cooler press plastic wrap on the surface of the custard so a skin does not form on top and let cool completely.
- Start on the puffed pastry. Preheat the oven to the temperature on the directions. Unroll it and cut out circles for the tarts.
- Press the circles of puffed pastry into your cupcake tins to make the shells.
- Once the custard is cool spoon it into each shell a little below the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes checking on them to see if you need to rotate the pan if they are not browning evenly. If the pastry is turning golden brown and you see scorched bubbles forming, you’re doing great! If the pastry looks like it is browning too fast, you may want to turn the heat off and leave them in the oven to finish cooking.
- Let cool completely and serve. We made homemake whipped cream and dolloped that on top.
↓ PIN FOR LATER ↓